Harysa, Namoura or basbosa you can call this dessert. This sweet semolina cake is deliciously soaked in sweet syrup and topped off with sliced almonds.
Ingredients for syrup
1 cup sugar
1½ cup water
3 tablespoons orange blossom water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Ingredients for the Basbosa
3 cups coarse semolina
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
4 Tbsp unsalted soft butter
1 1/2 cup yogurt.
1 tablespoon tahini.
1/2 cup chopped almond
Preparation of the sugar syrup
In a saucepan, heat the sugar, water and orange blossom water. Bring to a boil. * add the lemon juice and turn heat to low and simmer for 10 -15 minutes until the syrup thickens. * Allow the syrup to cool and pour into an airtight container. Keep it the fridge.
• Mix of samolina , sugar, and baking powder well.
• Add the melted butter with the finger tips till it gets mixed with the other ingredients.
• Add the yogurt and mix it well till you get soft dough.
• Brush an oven tray with tihini.
• Spread the dough in the tray till its surface. You can use 9x9 square pan or 9'' or 10” round pan. Dab your hands in water and smooth the dough on top.
• Place the nuts on the surface with a soft pressing on the surface.
• Bake at 350 degrees for 30 min to 40 mins until it's a bronze brown color. If no color forms on the top turn on broiler for 1-2 minutes until the top is golden.
• Once out of the oven, cut the cake along the lines you did before. Slowly pour the cooled syrup onto the hot cake. Let the cake sit at room temperature 1 -2 hours to absorb the syrup before serving and enjoy.