For the love of Baklava! Layer after layer of buttery paper-thin pastry filled with crushed nuts soaked in sweet syrup
* 1 lb walnuts finely ground
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 package fillo dough thawed
* 1 1/2 Cup unsalted butter melted
* 1/4 cup pistachios chopped for garnish
For the syrup
* 1 cup sugar
* 1½ cup water
* 1 tablespoons orange blossom water
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
* Preheat the oven to 375 degrees .
* Combine chopped walnuts in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and orange blossom water. Stir to mix. Set aside
* Make the sugar syrup by playing the sugar and water in a saucepan and heat stove-top, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Add the orange extract, stir to mix. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove syrup from heat and let cool to lukewarm. Add lemon juice. Set aside
* Unroll phyllo and cut phyllo to the size of the round pan or just use a rectangle pan. Trim a little of the phyllo to better fit your baking dish.
* Now spread the phyllo sheet on top of a damp towel, and cover with a second damp towel. This will help keep the phyllo dough from breaking while you work to assemble the baklava.
* Lightly brush the baking dish with a bit of the melted butter. Take one sheet of phyllo place it on clean surface, Brush the phyllo with butter and gently press, lay another couple sheet on top, brush with butter, and press down as you have done with the first sheet. Continue layering and buttering each layer until you have used up 1/2 of the phyllo package.
* Spread the nut mixture evenly over the top sheet.
* Layer the remaining phyllo sheets following the same process as before.
* Generously brush the very top layer of phyllo with butter.
* With a knife, cut the unbaked baklava into squares or diamonds all the way to the bottom of the pan.
* Bake until deep golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
* Remove from oven; pour the cooled syrup over baklava. Let set to completely absorb the syrup. Let cool completely before serving. Serve with a garnish of chopped pistachios.