Updated: Feb 15
Chicken and Chickpeas Tagine is one of my favorite tagine recipes, a spiced chicken dish using classic Moroccan ingredients that is served with a plate of basmati rice.
* 8 drum stick pieces or chicken legs
* 2 onions (sliced)
* 3 cloves of garlic (chopped )
* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground gin
* 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
* 1 teaspoon turmeric
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
* Pinch of saffron
* Cayenne pepper (to taste)
* 1/2 cup olive oil
* 2 carrots, peeled and quartered lengthwise
* 4 small baby’s peppers
* 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered lengthwise
* 1 1/2 cups chickpeas
* 1 preserved lemon (cut into quarters )
* 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
* Garnish: additional parsley or cilantro
* heat a large tagine, add the olive oil and the onions, garlic and ginger cook for 2-3 minutes. or until softened
* Stir in the spices and cook for one minute, then add the chicken legs to the tagine and stir until the chicken is coated in the spice mixture and browned.
* * Add the chickpeas, and water bring the mixture to the boil.
* * Reduce the heat until simmering, cover with a lid and cook for 30 minutes.
* Add the carrots, potato wedges, peppers and preserved lemons, then continue to cook, covered, for another 30 Minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened. Season, to taste, with salt and black pepper.
* Transfer the tagine to a large serving platter, garnished with freshly chopped parsley if desired. Serve and enjoy!